Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

Patriot Guard

As a relatively new PG member / Rider, I've been to probably 50 rides so far. I have yet to meet the protesters who wish so dearly to disrupt and disrespect our military members, but after talking to our California Captain (Gunny), I had to write a poem which displays my feelings towards this "church" group. You may find it amusing.

Drama Queens

http://allpoetry.com/poem/6860108

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    I will check the poem out in a minute. We did the first "freedom walk" when I was stationed at the Pentagon. We walked from the Pentagon to the Mall in DC. That was my first time seeing that group from the Westboro Baptist Church and since I had no idea who they were, I was pretty pissed. I have great respect for the PGR and their riders for what they do. If anything should happen to me, I would be honored to have them show at my services.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1970 to Present

Near:
    Hanscom AFB
    I saw them at Arlington this past Memorial Day. They were on the side of the road after we crossed over the bridge. They were yelling and protesting, waving thier signs and posters. They had young children with them doing the same thing. So sad to teach young ones the ways of thier parents. I exchanged, words with them, said that people like those heros in the cemetary and people like me have fought to give them the right to be the a_ _holes that they are. I got a standing ovation and cheer from the counter protesters on the other side of the road. Then I just let the clutch out and the bike took us into Arlington, where the wife and I got to say think you to a whole bunch of heros.

I ride with Rolling Thunder VT1 and MA Patriot Guard Riders. I try to make as many flag lines and funerals as I can. Our fallen deserve the honor and respect.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    I too ride with the PGR when i can, good people but sad reason to get together.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton
    It's hard to ride with the PGR. Several reasons come to mind. When I first started riding with them, I was shocked to see that they "collect" dog tags with the names of the fallen on them. It was with mixed emotions that I viewed the long chains filled with hundreds of tags that dangled from some riders hands. On your first mission, you will receive such a tag, as a welcome to the "state" PGR. And for around 3 dollars you can purchase a tag with the name of the fallen brother on it.

I bought one and regretted doing it. Then as I amassed more and more "missions", I realized that the tags are only a way to remember and honor those who have preceded us. I have over 50 missions now and looking at the tags helps me remember.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    I have never seen the dog tag thing, it is hard for me to ride because i work or go out of town on missions. but i always check rides to see if i am avaiable.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton
    San Diego is having a Nov 11th Veteran's Day Parade. The PGR, and the American Legion Riders will be attending in force. If interested, I can put in the link for this event.