Junior Member  The First 100

Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Near:
    Fort Hood

Help me decide on a Harley

I male, 35 yrs old, 6ft 1in, 200 pounds. I am looking for a Harley and have been to a couple of dealerships in the Fort Hood area. Any suggestions?

I don't want anything too expensive, but I also don't want to buy something that I will be looking to replace anytime soon because it is just not right for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1987 to 2009

Near:
    Stewart ANG Base
    Depending on your riding experience , you may want to look at the Dyna Family , low rider , super glide or wide glide , reasonable priced and quite a bang for the $$$ good luck

Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Near:
    Fort Hood
    Anyone have any comments on the wide glide?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ide-glide.html

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1986 to Present

Near:
    Fort Jackson
    First thing that you consider is: How much can I afford? Not just cost of the bike, but the cost of the upkeep. For your size, you need to look at the big bikes, and stay away from the sportsters. Buy an older one (but not too old) outright and get you a shop maint manual, and do the stuff you can on your own. Just like buying a used car, take someone who will keep the stars out of your eyes. There are A LOT of used bikes out there right now because of the economy, and you don't HAVE to go to dealer to find one. Take your time and the right one will come to you. Also don't think that you have to pay for all the shiney bolt-ons, especially if you may take it off later (that's the same way the dealer does). Find a bike, check the bluebook (private sale), and if it's the right one, make an offer. BUT be willing to walk away too. Good luck, and keep us posted. Springerman-05 Springer w/Apes and Straight pipes

Junior Member  The First 100 SluggznJuggz's Avatar

Status
    Family Member
    Served
    1980 to 1983

Definitly, a Dyna...you gotta try 'em out brother, they don't mind if check 'em all out.
    SDMF....and don't be bellignorant!!!....I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle!!!!

Junior Member  The First 100 gapatriot's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1989

Near:
    Robins AFB
    First, are you an experience rider? If not, take the riders safety course at the Harley dealer. Then they will help you select the proper bike for you. Keep in mind, no one on this forum knows your experience or your desires. Work with a trusted sales person. You can always buy a used bike, but working with a trusted sales person can be a grreat benefit so not to make a mistake right out of the shoot.

Status
    Family Member
    Served
    2000 to 2004

Near:
    Fort Leonard Wood
    32 years old and a good size boy. Now if you have someone who rides with ya and any distance at all. Search the internet and you will find in your area some very good deals on Heritage, RoadKings, and Streetglides runnning a bit more. Dress them up or strip them down. It's up to you.

Status
    Family Member
    Served
    2000 to 2004

Near:
    Fort Leonard Wood
    PS. 6'1" is lengthy for a Dyna my son had one and I am 6'-0" and was not comfortable. The Dyna series is great but consider forward controls.

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2010

Near:
    Wright-Patterson AFB
    I love the Softail Deluxe, but I'm a short guy. I'd stay away from one being as tall as you are. I'd think Road King would be your best bet.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Charleston AFB
    I am 6'4 and ride a fatboy... I would say is very comfortable... of course i added highway pegs... always nice to stretch out a bit... But like they say test ride one or two or all of them... every rider needs to fit the bike to themselves ... I know I did...
    Ride Safe
    Rob