Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

Just curious, does each Branch require the same PPE be worn when riding?

For the Army, they give you a list of stuff that you must have. If you don't have it, you will get turned away at the gate. Stuff like helmet, gloves, over the ankle boots, long pants, reflective vest / bright material front and back.

Is each branch of the military the same for required PPE or is that just an Army thing?

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB

Cool Short answer, yes!

DODi 6055.4, is the Governing document that all Branches base there regulations off of. Of course each Branch breaks it down further into the Branch specific regulation. Each branch can add to what is required but cannot take away from it.

Another point I'd like to add is that being Military wether Active, Guard, Reserve, Retired, Dependent or anyone else covered under Tricare Health Insurance is required to abide by the regulation both on and off base. If your caught without it on your body in a accident you will not be medically covered by Tricare. It's a shame not every rider realizes that.

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    I know it is beat into our heads that we have to wear the stuff, but I bet a lot of retirees are not aware of it or they forgot that they need to wear the stuff. Thanks for the info.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    No problem. VA Offices don't normally care enough to remind the retired vets who still ride, it's a shame. A whisper in the wind once told me that the reg might be done away with in the next few years because all it really does is makes us all a target anyway. But always go by regs. Especially until they really are changed.

Junior Member  The First 100

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1975 to 1998

Near:
    Fort Bragg
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Wilson View Post
    Another point I'd like to add is that ...Retired, Dependent or anyone else covered under Tricare Health Insurance is required to abide by the regulation both on and off base. If your caught without it on your body in a accident you will not be medically covered by Tricare. It's a shame not every rider realizes that.
    Is this in writing anywhere? I'm retired and have never heard this about or from TriCare. I couldn't find this information on their website either. Thanks.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    I'm sure it is, I don't know where Tri Care keeps there rulebook though. If your under Tri Care contact your local office and I'm sure they'd love to explain it in depth.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    i am motorcycle mentor for my unit, and every branch has PPE requirments, i still struggle with this, as a biker we are discriminated against by the DOD, to drive a car in the military does not require special certifications or classes, cagers do not have to have extra equipment on, and be under the microscope all the time. it is the right thing to do, but man it is sure nice to go without a helmet sometimes. and bright orange clashes with me color scheme LOL!!!
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton
    Well, here at Camp Pendleton, they do not require the vest except at night. On the USAF bases here (Edwards AFB) they did away with all the requirements except those required by California. Then reinstated them when the new commander took over. Each base has the ability to regulate what is required via the BC's order. But, with that said, it would be suicide if they didn't require it and the death or injury toll mounted up....forget the good performance report. At Camp Pendleton, I've talked to the Gunny there and he has stated that they would do away with the requirements except the death toll among young Marines is WAY UP THERE. Certainly I can attest to that one.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    They've been talking about doing away with it in my MAJCOM, reason being it pretty much makes the rider a target for anyone who wants to protest the military. At my base now the orange or yellow vests aren't required but you still have to wear long sleeves and contrasting colors during the day and 12 square inches of reflective material at night. My MMC made the Colors retro-reflective and it's at 12" so it satifies the requirement.