Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox

Ft. Hood new rules

Read an article today on Biker news. net that Ft. Hood, TX is now requiring their soliders to wear the bright reflective vest/gear on and off post during day and night hours. This is due to accidents and warriors not wearing the proper brightly colored garments during the day hours. I understand safety but riding a motorcycle is a part of being free and the military is really imposing on those freedoms. Before everyone starts yelling about belonging to the military and its rules, got it, tracking, my point being is where is the data the supports that wearing a fucking bright reflective vest improves safety or has reduced accidents. I believe more in education and battle buddies.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Places I've ridden... Blackcloud's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1981 to 2001

Near:
    Redstone Arsenal
    I agree. My spouse was wearing a bright long sleeve (lime green) shirt AND a reflective vest that had FLASHING LIGHTS on it. The guy still.... wait for it.... ..... "didn't see her". I understand the command's intent. I just don't believe the preventive measures are effective. In most cases, the problem isn't the biker, it's the cager.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    Yeah blackcloud, commanders that do not ride are the same ones that make these rules. a smart commander would include his senior riders in finding out what works best. I still want to see the stats that support why the military even wears reflective gear. i had a junior soldier tell me he thinks they try to make it harder and take the fun and freedom out of riding in hopes everyone just stops riding. i don't really believe this but i understand it, i also let him know a real biker won't let anything or anyone keep them from riding. it's all about the ride

Dino

Places I've ridden... Blackcloud's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1981 to 2001

Near:
    Redstone Arsenal
    We no longer have soldiers where I work, but just a few months ago when we still had troops here, the trainees had to wear reflective belts (PT belts) while on foot in uniform. Not just PT uniform, but in their digitals. I understand the notion of protect the force, but @#^*! They are supposed to be ready to face the enemy on the field of battle, but they can't face oncoming traffic without a yellow belt?
    Just venting my frustration. Rant over.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    well said

Dino