Air Force
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1998 to Present

Near:
    Langley AFB

Common Courtesy

This morning, I shared a parking spot with another motorcycle when I got to work. About an hour later, I had an appointment so I headed out to my bike. Low and behold, the same parking spot that I was using now had 5 other bikes trying to occupy the same spot and blocking me in. I spent the next 30 to 45 minutes walking around trying to find out who owned the bikes so I could get mine out. Think this is a valid excuse for being late to a military appointment? Nope.

A friend of mine asked me why I didn't just move the bikes. I asked him if I could drive his car without him knowing.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1982 to 1988

Near:
    Eglin AFB
    Good call. This is one of those cases where more is not merrier, but none the less we are all bikers.

Thanks for doing the right thing....
    Juan C Fernandez
    USAF 1982 - 1988
    Hooyah

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Our unit has two motorcycle parking spots a decent distance from our regular parking area. We are working to get designated motorcycle parking established, but since none of the big dogs in our unit ride, there is no sense of urgency. We already had one bike hit in our parking lot when someone whipped into the spot trying to park before PT and knocked the bike over.

You would think units would rather have a few designated spots rather than the bikes take up full spots and use much more of the parking area.

I think I will reengage this next week. I may even volunteer to buy the paint to start marking off some areas.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    our unit has several motorcycle spots, they also are very "helpful" when some cager who thinks they are privilaged enough to park there does.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    I would've pushed there bikes out of the way. I understand you were on base so it'll be a little different. If you were at say a bike night somewhere and bikes were blocking yours in, you would first look for a Prospect if bikes are club affiliated or see if anyone else is standing around that knows who owns the bikes, if not just gently push the bikes out of your way. You don't have to sit on a bike to move it.

Or you can park in the rear end of the stall closest to the drive and don't have to worry about that space for someone to park behind you, it also will give cars around you a better view of your bike when they are looking to park and they won't speed halfway into the stall before nearly missing your bike.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    Yeah you did right thing but in your situation I would have just pushed the bikes out of the way, if you were at a bike night or a club then it would have been different.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Places I've ridden... Blackcloud's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1981 to 2001

Near:
    Redstone Arsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by TX Wide Glide View Post
    Our unit has two motorcycle parking spots a decent distance from our regular parking area. We are working to get designated motorcycle parking established, but since none of the big dogs in our unit ride, there is no sense of urgency. We already had one bike hit in our parking lot when someone whipped into the spot trying to park before PT and knocked the bike over.

You would think units would rather have a few designated spots rather than the bikes take up full spots and use much more of the parking area.

I think I will reengage this next week. I may even volunteer to buy the paint to start marking off some areas.
    I realize this a a bit late, but I just read your post. The following is an excerpt from what used to be Army Technical Instruction (TI) 804-11 but is now Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) 3-210-02 and is DOD wide.
    POV SITE CIRCULATION AND PARKING
    Motorcycle Parking. Figure 2 -14 illustrates a typical motorcycle parking area. Design
    considerations for motorcycle parking include:
    (1) Locate parking close to building entrances.
    (2) Locate parking in parking lot corners.
    (3) Place parking on a concrete pad.
    (4) Provide signage and pavement markings.

Here's a link to the document. http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_210_02.pdf
    Perhaps showing them the regulation will encourage them to make a change to your parking lot configuration.
    Emphasis mine.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    It is funny you posted this, at my place of work, human resource command they just got done redoing the parking lot to meet these requirements for us motorcycle drivers.

Dino

AGMC Long Rider

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1975 to 1995

Near:
    Fort Campbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
    I realize this a a bit late, but I just read your post. The following is an excerpt from what used to be Army Technical Instruction (TI) 804-11 but is now Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) 3-210-02 and is DOD wide.
    POV SITE CIRCULATION AND PARKING
    Motorcycle Parking. Figure 2 -14 illustrates a typical motorcycle parking area. Design
    considerations for motorcycle parking include:
    (1) Locate parking close to building entrances.
    (2) Locate parking in parking lot corners.
    (3) Place parking on a concrete pad.
    (4) Provide signage and pavement markings.

Here's a link to the document. http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOD/UFC/ufc_3_210_02.pdf
    Perhaps showing them the regulation will encourage them to make a change to your parking lot configuration.
    Emphasis mine.
    Preparing Activity is the Corps, and I work for USACE. Wouldn't you know it, we have no such parking here. Out of the goodness of their hearts, they have designated one parking spot (farthest from the building) where employees with no assigned parking space can park bikes. Not looking a gift-horse in the mouth however, at least it is free parking (beats $9/day!) in a covered and guarded garage!

Places I've ridden... Blackcloud's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1981 to 2001

Near:
    Redstone Arsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
    Preparing Activity is the Corps, and I work for USACE. Wouldn't you know it, we have no such parking here.
    That reminds me of when I went through instructor training. They put much emphasis on accurate training materials and keeping them current. Never mind that the materials they themselves were using (at the instructor school) were continually "under revision".