Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

New pipes

Looking to get new pipes, something a little (a lot) louder than what I have stock. I have a 2011 Wide Glide. Anyone have any recommendations? Are they easy to put on and once installed, does anything else need to be done to the bike? I don't want to mess something up and void any warranty I have.

Places I've ridden... Blackcloud's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1981 to 2001

Near:
    Redstone Arsenal
    Some dealers will tell you your warranty is shot if you change the pipes. That isn't exactly correct. You can change the exhaust on your car and it doesn't void your warranty. Harley just tries to keep you using OEM stuff.

I like the way Vance and Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 looks on a wideglide.

Adjustments to the bike:
    the fuel control system is set at the factory for factory exhaust and intake. It has the ability to make adjustments on the fly due to things like temperature and altitude. That ability allows it to make "some" adjustments on it's own if you changed something. As a rule of thumb, most techs will tell you that you can change the exhaust with no problem. Or that you can change the breather with no problem, but if you change both, then you'll need to have it "re-mapped". This is because the increased airflow created by a better breathing intake and a more open exhaust changes the air/fuel ratio and makes it "leaner". Leaner is hotter and too hot is BAD. You'll have to have the fuel control adjusted via remap to enrich the air/fuel ratio. Your mileage will drop a little. Essentially, you'll be moving more air (and fuel). This will give you more power though (if it is done right).

Recommendation: have the dealer do it. It may keep your "warranty relationship" intact, and they can do any re-mapping if necessary.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1974 to 1975

Near:
    Mountain Home AFB
    Hi, you might look into ThunderHeader. You can go to Thunderheader.com to look at what is available. I ran a set of them on my 2012 WideGlide. 103 inch motor. Bought the supertuner from Harley and got it dyno'ed. Went from 67hp to 102hp with 254E cams and Stage 1 intake upgrade. It was SCARY fast! The dyno was done away from the Harley shop. They have restrictions about what Harley will allow them to do. Mine was done at Power Sports in Pocatello, Idaho. They have a former Harley mechanic that knows his stuff when it comes to setting parameters in your motor. Good luck in setting your bike up. Enjoy the ride! By the way, as long as you use the Harley supertuner you won't void warranty...
    Last edited by HeritageGhost; 06-18-2015 at 00:13.