Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

Looking for helmets

I hate the helmet I have. It is huge and looks like I am wearing an ol' school baseball batting helmet. I have been looking at these:

For my wife and I:

For our 6 year old daughter:

What ya think? I want something a little more low profile for myself, something that sits closer to the head. While I was at that recent motorcycle ride at Fort Hood, I saw a lot of helmets I liked.

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Oh, I have been looking at Leatherup.com since they are doing free shipping for the amount of money we are spending and I have been reading that they have a pretty good return/exchange policy. If there are any other suggestions, please post them. Thanks

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Near:
    Nellis AFB
    I have a Daytona carbon fiber skull cap that for looks is nice and putzing around town, but when you get up to speed it feels like it is pulling off my head. I don't think you can find a skull cap style that will be what you are really looking for that is not a novelty/non DOT approved. The Daytona is supposed to have the smallest shell size available, but to make it safe they have to put about 1/2 inch of padding inside so it i will stick off your head a bit, but not too bad. Good luck on your hunt, I am already up to my third helmet. Full face modular (Roof Boxer V8) for the Autobahn, the Daytona for around town, and I just ordered a 3/4 from Licks that they just started production on.
    V/r
    Jason

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Quote Originally Posted by romad01 View Post
    I have a Daytona carbon fiber skull cap that for looks is nice and putzing around town, but when you get up to speed it feels like it is pulling off my head. I don't think you can find a skull cap style that will be what you are really looking for that is not a novelty/non DOT approved. The Daytona is supposed to have the smallest shell size available, but to make it safe they have to put about 1/2 inch of padding inside so it i will stick off your head a bit, but not too bad. Good luck on your hunt, I am already up to my third helmet. Full face modular (Roof Boxer V8) for the Autobahn, the Daytona for around town, and I just ordered a 3/4 from Licks that they just started production on.
    I asked one guy where he got his helmet and he said Korea. Thinking about it now, tt was probably not DOT approved. Thanks for the info, it is tough trying to think of how the helmets would look when checking them out online. I may suck it up and just hit a HD dealer and if they have one I like, pay through the nose for it....knowing I got one that I actually like the look of.

I am going to check out the others you mentioned also.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Near:
    Nellis AFB
    Good luck I hope that you find what you are looking for!! I love the roof boxer, but it could be hard to come bye in the states. I had to find a shop in Germany that carries it I think is was FC-moto.de, but you may be able to find it in the states.
    V/r
    Jason

Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

I personally wear a skid lid, it does have DOT sticker lol but we all know how that goes. I find the best helmets at rally's and they usually have a really good price. I found that any DOT helmet that I wear (only wear half helmets) wants to grab wind and pull my head off.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Near:
    MCRD San Diego
    I personally wear a modular full face. I used to wear half-heads, and skid lids. I rode enough miles finally that I realized I didn't need to look "cool" and could do whatever I wanted.

Keep in mind that unless your head is worth $10, you might want more than a $10 helmet protecting it...