Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

Totally preventable death

While some may critique the Army's "babying" of Military Motorcycle Riders, I personally feel that it is only because many leaders do not take enough interest in their troops and are not good enough leaders to ID and implement safety measures for at risk riders.

I think the "across the board" PPE Requirements, Mandatory Safety Classes, Motorcycle Mentor Programs, Counsellings, etc.. are only because they know if they do not make it mandatory across the board, it will not get done for the people that need it (in many cases).

Anyway, a Soldier recently died on a motorcycle and his chain did not know he had a bike, he did not take the safety courses, was not wearing all required PPE and was travelling at a rate of speed that was not ideal for the section of road he was on. I am not saying that if he had taken the class, had ALL the required PPE on and if his command knew he had a bike, that he would be alive today. I am just suggesting that if the blocks were checked as they should have been, maybe he would not have taken the section of road like he had and would still be alive today.

I am a new rider and I do not look down on anyone that offers me guidance. I guess I am just saying to watch the newer and the younger riders, talk with them and make sure they have a good head on their shoulders so we can limit the loss of life due to bad decisions.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    Koh the main point is knowing your warriors, a person is gonna do what a person is gonna do. all the rules in place does not mean a warrior will follow them. but like you did say this warrior's leadership did not know he/she had a bike and knowing your people is paramont.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

i am a newbie to riding and think that everything the army does to implement safety measures to protect riders is a great thing

Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

I guess I am a little different. In my experience the ones that are enforcing these standards do not ride. They are seemingly just trying to make those that do ride wish they didnt because of all the BS that you have to go through. Now, that being said, I really like the mentorsip program idea if the chain of command is behind it. That is the only way that it works. I also think that the MSF course is an awsome tool. But putting motorcycle safety into a safety day is not the way to do. That just makes those that do not ride sit in the back and cause distractions for those that do ride. It is a select thing that should be handled differently without outside distractions. The intent is good, but they way they go about implementing it is wrong.

Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Near:
    Hickam AFB
    I agree with Streetbob on this. Most of the requirements are BS. I have yet to find any statistic which show wearing a bright colored vest actually reduced accidents or made some one truthfully visible to those in a cage (yes I have looked on the MSF website and the US Dept of Trans site as well as many others). Anyone who has been riding for a while will tell you they either see you or they don't. However, there is proof that leather provides you great abrasive protection...regard less of the color. Also, helmets are only tested for a 15 MPH crash and pretty much worthless for anything greater and can be even dangerous if you are wearing the wrong kind of helmet. But we are still mandated to wear them. Just some more examples of decisions made by those who don't ride but think they know what’s best for you.
    Duke

Brotherhood of Warriors VMC
    Hawaii Representative
    WFFW
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    Amen to streetbob and duke, all these rules are BS. I agree with education and accountablity but disagree with all the extras. For a warrior to drive a car there is no extra classes or requirements. Having these requirements only provide leaders the ability to deny accountabliity by saying, "well the warrior was not wearing his gear, etc". Hold the rider, individual responsible. good point about non riders making the rules, I think all leaders should have to take the MSF course no matter what. speaking of bright colors making a rider better seen it is BS has anyone seen this video?

http://youtu.be/URDaZSPkO2o
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Near:
    MCRD San Diego
    So many threads to resurrect...