Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    NAB Little Creek

California Attacks Motorcycles

It seems that the governor of California, who just happens to be a motorcycle rider, also, as recently signed into law the Motorcycle Anti-Tampering Act (SB 435). This act mandates that any motorcycle produced after January 2013 must meet the California emissions requirements and not be louder than 80 decibels. While I can understand the clean air part of this act (especially in California), mandating that a motorcycle can be only as loud as a vacuum cleaner (which is about 80 decibels), could be dangerous. Most 4-wheel drivers (definitely not all of them), do not really pay attention to motorcycles. I have avoided multiple accidents because I had one thought: "always count on stupid". I actively look a quarter mile ahead, if possible, and say to myself "what is that idiot going to do?" This has saved me and will continue to. Not all bikers do this and it should not fall solely on the motorcyclist to prevent an accident. Loud pipes are a passive way to alert vehicles that we are near and to look for us. Making bikes should like mopeds could be very bad for us. Law officials need to enforce local noise abatement laws and penalize those who can't follow the law or chose not to follow it. What are your thoughts?

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    glad I don't live in CA, love KY can still be free here, loud pipes, no helmets, and can carry a gun.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1985 to 1993

Near:
    Scott AFB
    This is significant legislation that will most likely impact ALL of the states. Unfortunately, the safety-crats and enviro-nazis throughout the US follow California's lead. Dino, I'll wager a bet that in tha' next few years there WILL be some sort of exhaust legislation coming to KY, just as in my homestate of Illinois. HOWEVER, and this is KEY to the future motorcycling, Kentucky has the KMA/KBA (Kentucky Motorcyclists Association) and Illinois has ABATE of Illinois. Together, along with the other ABATE's around the nation, bikers have a chance to delay and maybe even defeat more restrictive legislation which IS coming down tha' pike. This brings me to the climax of my rant... If anyone reading my words does NOT belong to your state's MRO (Motorcycle Rights Organization), then SHAME ON YA'! Being a member of the AMA is NOT enough. The AMA relies on each state's MRO for the "grass roots" efforts it takes to lobby state lawmakers. (I'm a 25 year member of the AMA as well).
    Dino, with all due respect, Kentucky DOES have a helmet law. Only 3 states in the Union do not have a helmet law of any kind (and the riders of Illinois are proud to be the only state in Union which has successfully had its helmet law declared unconstitutional) =) NOW, if we in Illinois had Kentucky's CARRY option, all would be golden! Respects and ya'll take care out there, Tom
    Pro Deo ~ Pro Patria
    "For God ~ For Country"

They call me....
    >>>Squirts<<<

http://www.squirtsbikerpage.com Squirts' Biker Page

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    Yeah they may try but you are right the KMA/KBA is strong here. But not really sure if an attempt will be made. When KY had the vet testing here then did not test motorcycles, and the vet testing was shut down by the KY legistration due to studies showing it cost more money to run it than it was making and that it did not affect the quality of air. Now on the helmet law you are right there is technically a law, but it is no helmets for riders here. the actuall law is:

Kentucky first enacted a motorcycle helmet law for all riders in 1968. This law
    was amended in July 1998 to require helmet use only by:
    Motorcycle operators and passengers under the age of 21;

Motorcycle operators who possess a motorcycle instruction permit;

Motorcycle operators who have had an operator’s license for less than one year.

and on the carry law, it is the best! open carry is legal and allowed in the state captial, the concealed carry is great too, it does not limit you to the weapon you got the permit under, it covers all deadly weapons. what this means if a weapon is considered a deadly weapon by KY state law you can now carry it leagally if it is concealed. also you can carry as many weapons on your person as long as they are concealed. many guys just open carry because they can and don't have to spend time and money to get permit. personally i have permit.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1985 to 1993

Near:
    Scott AFB
    =) Yeah, I wish the "big wigs" (Democrat Politicians) in Chicago would pull their collective heads from their asses and at least allow Open Carry here in the Land o' Lincoln. As it is, if'n you even STARE at a weapon for too long, you're lookin' at time in the state pokey. (No open or concealed carry option...PERIOD). My fellow ABATErs would probably string me up if they read this, but I'd even give in to a 21 and under helmet law like KY to be able to open carry. =)
    Last edited by Tom Clark; 01-15-2011 at 19:44. Reason: spelling
    Pro Deo ~ Pro Patria
    "For God ~ For Country"

They call me....
    >>>Squirts<<<

http://www.squirtsbikerpage.com Squirts' Biker Page

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    yeah having a state that supports the constitution, it blows my mind on how the people in other states allow the lawmakers to go against the 2nd admendment/consistution, and take the right to carry guns away from them. I plan gun purchases, stockpiling. probably could have bought new scoot for what i have spent on guns/ammo

Dino

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    NAB Little Creek
    Even though the Army has sent me to Virginia, I am gladly a card carrying Ks ABATE member. We fight the good fight out there also to keep the rights of bikers.