Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF

Here is the situation

Your in traffic on a 4 lane freeway, your in the 3rd lane and traffic surrounds you. You wish to move to the 2nd lane. You turn on your turn signal and looking your rear view mirror and then turn your head to check your blind spot. Suddenly as you turn your head back you notice that the car in front of you has stomped on their breaks and you then impact.

All to often, as we 'quickly' check our blind spots or otherwise remove our attention from the car ahead, we lose valuable space between us and the car ahead.

SLOW DOWN before you check that blind spot.

Give yourself some room and slow to insure that while your attention is away, you will have enough room to stop if needed.

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USN Marines....and twisties

I'm pretty tired of seeing young Veteran Marines dead on the side of the road because they buy new pocket (crouch) rockets and with little to no training begin taking on Mt Polamar.

My daughter two years ago, bought a bike that I advised her not to buy. Too much horsepower and way out of her league. She is a avid dirt bike rider and has ridden for years. She got mad at her boyfriend one day and gunned it entering the freeway. Lost control, went across all four lanes impacting the center divider of the freeway and was launched over it into oncoming traffic...leaving the bike behind. She hit two lanes over directly into traffic.

She crushed her foot and knee when she hit the center divider. She crushed her right left wrist when she impacted on the other side. All are now filled with permanent pins, screws, and plates. She walks with a limp, just got off her crutches and is back on a bike again. She also just completed learning how to sky dive.

This 36 year old gutsy gal is the light and best thing in my life...but the thought of losing her is constant.

I've seen to many who buy and die. Keep the rubber side down....