Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF New attempt to pass a Federal "all states" mandatory helmet law

The Motorcycle Riders Foundation reports that the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is calling on all States that do not have a mandatory helmet law to adopt one. The NTSB has a "top ten most wanted" list that has never before addressed motorcycle helmet law, but does now. They are asking for every State to enact mandatory helmet law for every rider and passenger on every motorcycle.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....B2EkNiSQ%3D%3D

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    We have the no helmet law here in KY but being in the Military it does not matter have to wear one anyway.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Interesting. I wonder how many states do not have mandatory helmet laws? I don't really see this passing.

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF

Here is a link to the states with helmet laws.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/HelmetUseCurrent.aspx

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1985 to 1993

Near:
    Scott AFB
    The Great State of Illinois (tongue in cheek, fellas) has already gone down the "helmet law" road. I'm proud to say that a fella down tha' road from my house, with help from a local motorcycle dealer, not only fought Illinois's helmet law way back in '69 but it went all tha' way to the Illinois Supreme Court where it was declared "unconstitutional" (The only state in which that has happened). Illinois has been 100% "free" ever since.
    I was Prez of the local ABATE (A Brotherhood Aimed Toward Education) chapter back in '92 when the federal government tried to blackmail states into passing helmet laws or risk losing federal highway monies. That was a tough fight, but Illinois, along with some other states held their ground. (This tactic may be on the rebound)
    I personally do not have a problem wearing a skid lid. As an old Army medic and civilian EMT I have worked accident scenes where a helmet undoubtedly saved a person's head and I have worked scenes where neck injuries were present in a helmeted rider. I rarely wear a helmet and rarely ride into neighboring Missouri because of their helmet law. I simply don't like Uncle Sugar tellin' me what is "best" for me, so I choose to ride lidless most of the time. There's huge debate about insurance and all that, but I see this is a state's rights issue (Good ol' 10th amendment stuff). If'n the majority of folks in Illinois decided that we needed a helmet law then we would have one. As it stands, we get about 4-5 new helmet law bills in the Statehouse every year and they are ALWAYS quashed outright. Now, ABATE of Illinois hovers around 10,000 members. With a state population of almost 13 MILLION, I would think that even if everybody in ABATE had tizzy fits, we'd STILL have a helmet law, so I am convinced the vast majority of the dirving public simply does not care to press the issue.
    One of our concerns (in ABATE) has been the changing face of health care. Once Uncle Sugar gets into the (active) health insurance biz, he could conceivably set up his own guidelines about what is and isn't "risky" activity. Once that happpens, civilians needing Uncle Sugar's insurance would have to comply with his regulations (a'la military restrictions/ mandates regarding "risky" activity) or risk losing their insurance. This announcement may (or may not) be a prelude to things to come. Sorry for the essay... =) Interesting stuff! Respects, Tom
    Last edited by Tom Clark; 11-18-2010 at 07:42. Reason: kant spel
    Pro Deo ~ Pro Patria
    "For God ~ For Country"

They call me....
    >>>Squirts<<<

http://www.squirtsbikerpage.com Squirts' Biker Page

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1982 to 1988

Near:
    Eglin AFB
    I know we are all about fredoom (in more ways than one; hooyah) however I have to tell ya that I would feel awkward not having something on my skull when an accident occured; By accident I not just referring to when the rider falls during a ride, I'm also referring to a bird hitting you or a rock flying up at ya. My most memorable experience was was riding down from Plattsburgh NY to Miami FL shortly before leaving the military. I was still in the adorondack mounts when a sparrow came out of no where and hit me in the chest, just below the chin gaurd of my helment. HURT LIKE HELL. A few inches higher and it would have been my head. The police officer who was behind me pulled me over to see if I was alright. He showed me what happened by playing back the recording on his dash camera. What I saw scared the hell out of me. I was shocked at the fact that I didn't fall. By the way this is also why I wear leather jacket no matter what the weather is.
    Juan C Fernandez
    USAF 1982 - 1988
    Hooyah

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1985 to 1993

Near:
    Scott AFB
    Fern, I think you bring up a valid point. Choosing to wear a helmet (or other protective gear) is different than being MADE to wear it. This past March I had my first "real" motorcycle accident after almost 30 years of riding. It was your typical "cager didn't yield" scenario and by the time the dust had settled, I ended up with a shattered coccyx, cracked sacrum, a dislocated shoulder, and three large muscles torn in my lower back. Three days in the hospital and one month off work along with nearly 25K in medical bills (thank God for insurance), left me wonderin' if I would think differently about riding after the accident. I AM a different rider now, but whether or not I ultimately choose to go the "All The Gear All The Time" (ATGATT) route or continue to roll the dice is my choice, and I like it that way. The helmet looks more inviting now, but I'll always fight for the right to make that choice myself. Respects
    funnyhelmet.jpg
    Pro Deo ~ Pro Patria
    "For God ~ For Country"

They call me....
    >>>Squirts<<<

http://www.squirtsbikerpage.com Squirts' Biker Page

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    tom best thing is that you made it out ok
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1982 to 1988

Near:
    Eglin AFB
    Tom

Glad to hear you were able to recoupe; I do agree that the choice ougth to be ours but I got to tell ya, law or no law a lid is a requirement for me and my passenger.

Later
    Juan C Fernandez
    USAF 1982 - 1988
    Hooyah