Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

Question about clubs and engine sizes

I was reading another post and it said they accept anyone that has an engine larger than 450. I am guessing it is so the people can keep up with the other riders? If I am wrong, can someone fill me in on why they have an engine size requirement? Just curious I guess.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1993 to 2002

Near:
    Hanscom AFB
    Your most likely right about the motor size and ability to keep up. Most clubs/organizations ect. require the ability to ride safely at highway speeds.
    Also 450cc alows smaller riders and new riders to participate while not having a bike that is too big for them.

Status
    I Served
    Served
    1993 to 2010

Near:
    Langley AFB
    Yes CC size is important if a bike cant keep at highway speeds for long it becomes a danger to all involved in the ride. Just think about 190 at 17:15 you need to be able to keep up with traffic at least.

I miss Ft Hood. I used to live behind the skating ring in Harker Heights
    Last edited by 1Harleyrdr; 12-02-2010 at 08:46.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    yes the engine size is important in regards to being able to keep up with group
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1985 to 1993

Near:
    Scott AFB
    "It's NOT tha' size, but what you can DO with it!"... Oh,wait... Different post =) Most MC's and RC's have a 500cc limit. The other guys above are correct; It's about keepin' up with a group. Your more "hard core" MC's and support clubs mandate American iron and your 1%ers mandate American iron, exclusively (at least in tha' States). Respects
    Pro Deo ~ Pro Patria
    "For God ~ For Country"

They call me....
    >>>Squirts<<<

http://www.squirtsbikerpage.com Squirts' Biker Page

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    Too funny Tom, I wounder if clubs will be changing American iron rules soon being there really is no true American made bikes.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1985 to 1993

Near:
    Scott AFB
    Dennis, you are a BBBRRRAAAVVVEEEE man to even THINK about addressing the "made in America" topic. =) I use to argue and carry on back in tha' day about the number of Japanese made parts on your typical Harley, but the only thing the arguing accomplished was hurt feelings, increased blood pressure, and strained vocal chords. =) There's some folks who get downright unfriendly when this topic comes up. =) As for me? I'll ride anything that starts and goes...
    I've had Sportys and Shovels and a whole load of Jap bikes. Just recently had to decide between a very cool '72 Sportster hardtail bobber and a '82 Honda Goldwing, both selling for $2500.00. You look cool just standing NEXT to the Sporty, but I chose the wing ding because I need a bike I can throw a leg over and ride. Havin' said that, if'n it's MAN MADE then it can be MAN BROKEN so you won't get the "Harleys are a piece of crap" spiel from me. I've buddies with 150,000 mile Harleys and buddies who rode their "metric" a few thousand miles before needin' a new engine, so it's all relative if'n you ask me. =) Respects 'n take care out there. Tom
    Pro Deo ~ Pro Patria
    "For God ~ For Country"

They call me....
    >>>Squirts<<<

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Near:
    Fort Lewis
    Is that purely a cruiser thing? I have a good buddy with a 250 who has no problems at all keeping up in the twisties... Oh wait you said highway speeds. I forgot that highways are generally straight.

I'm just a slow guy tryin to be fast.

Get your oil filters and lubricants for 25% off! PM me to discuss.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1985 to 1993

Near:
    Scott AFB
    "...I forgot that highways are generally straight." LOL! =) Yeah, I would say it's a "cruiser thang" =) There's a lot of animosity out there about "Joe Racer" and his "Rice Rocket" in the cruiser/ Harley crowd. I personally don't understand it, but then I don't give two craps what anybody rides. IMO, Freedom to choose is what makes our defunct, dysfunctional country one of the greatest in tha' world. For me, the brand, shape or size doesn't matter because it's all tha' same wind and gettin in tha' breeze is what trips MY trigger. =)
    Pro Deo ~ Pro Patria
    "For God ~ For Country"

They call me....
    >>>Squirts<<<

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    I'm with you squirts as long as your on twos i love it

Dino