Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

MotorcyclePPE.com

Am I on the right track with this? I tried to grab the info from the references that covered the PPE.

http://www.motorcycleppe.com

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF Ppe

Yes your right, however notice a couple things.

1st The requirements differ between services.
    2nd The USAF requires only a Highly Colored (example: bright colored helmet or a reflective band around the helmet) Garment (No definition nor size is described nor is there a placement except "upper".) In areas of such vague language it is open to interpretation by both the rider and others. (Note: This was intentional by the USAF).
    3rd the Marine Corp describes it further and yet it too is vague in key areas.

The Army is very pro regulations. When I was in they attempted to regulate just about every aspect of our lives (especially with all the draftee's we had.) As a currently serving Soldier, you can expect they will enforce every aspect of the reg's.

Nice post! Love the site!

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    I just copied what I saw word for word with the exception of the mention of the gloves which I pulled out to make it's own line. Other than that, the info posted is how it is listed in the reference that are linked to.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    I'm confused on the Air Force Motorcycle regs...here's what we enforce at my base....

AFI 31-204 Luke AFB Supp. 1

A2.13. Motorcycles and Mopeds (includes motor scooters)

A2.13.1. Rider and Passenger to Have Seat. A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and the operator shall not carry any other person, nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless it is designed to carry more than one person.

A2.13.2. Depriving a Motorcycle Full Use of Lane. All motorcycles are entitled to the full use of a lane and a person shall not drive a motor vehicle in such a manner as to deprive any motorcycle of the full use of a lane. This does not apply to motorcycles operated two abreast in a single lane, which is authorized.

A2.13.3. Passing in Same Lane Occupied by Vehicle. The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.

A2.13.4. Motorcycle Between Lanes. A person shall not operate a motorcycle between the lanes of traffic or between adjacent rows of vehicles.

A2.13.5. Muffler Required. A person shall not operate a motorcycle unless it is equipped with a working muffler or noise reduction equipment. A person shall not use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device.

A2.13.6. Operator and Passenger Safety Equipment. Any operator or passenger of a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, motor scooter, or moped must wear a protective helmet. Helmets must meet, at a minimum, Department of Transportation (DOT) standards and be properly worn and fastened. To increase visibility of riders, it is recommended that they affix reflective material on the helmet. They will also wear impact resistant goggles, or a full-face transparent shield on their helmet. Goggles or a full-face shield are not required for the operator if the motorcycle is equipped with a windshield that is equal in height to or above the top of the helmet of the properly upright-seated operator. A brightly colored or contrasting vest or jacket will be worn during the day as an outer upper garment. At night, an outer upper garment will be worn with at least 12 square inches of reflective material. Outer upper garment shall be clearly visible and not covered. While most traffic safety vests may meet these requirements, it is strongly encouraged operators wear armored or leather motorcycle jackets that meet the conspicuity requirements. Long-sleeved shirt or jacket, full-fingered motorcycle gloves or mittens, and long trousers are required along with sturdy footwear that covers the entire foot. Leather boots or over-the-ankle shoes are strongly encouraged. If a backpack is worn, it must meet the same requirements as the garment.

A2.13.7. Motorcycle Equipment Required. A motorcycle, moped, or motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with a rearview mirror, seat and footrests for the operator. Any motorcycle operated with a passenger shall be equipped with seats and footrests for such passengers. The passenger must be able to rest their feet on the footrests.

A2.13.8. Mandatory Safety Class. With the exception of military retirees and civilian contractors, all personnel who operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle will attend the motorcycle safety class prior to registering their vehicle at Luke AFB. A temporary registration may be given up to the date of the scheduled class.

A2.13.9. Headlights. Headlights will be on at all times when in operation on base.

A2.13.10. Handlebar Height. Shall be positioned so that the hands of the motorcycle rider are not above shoulder height when placed upon the grips.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    Notice most things are only recommendations and not requirements, also we don't have to wear bright colors if we have a contrasting vest, which is open to a wide range of interpretation.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    I just got off the phone with someone that called me reference the site. A few things were brought up in the conversation and they were good points. The site lists the basic information and does not go into detail about specific base requirements. If the site was to move in the direction of listing all the base specific requirements that would require the assistance of someone (official) from the safety office on that base to contact me and basically spoon feed me the information and notify me of updates. There is no way that one person could keep up with the ever changing requirements that the military, bases, commanders come up with as knee jerk reactions to recent events.

The main thing brought up in the conversation was mentioning at the top of the page that riders should check with their installation to learn what their requirements for PPE are. The branches put out basic info, but commanders add to them as they wish. There are a lot of different requirements out there. The motorcycleppe.com page (as it stands right now) is just meant to provide information on the basic requirements.

Maybe when the site starts to get more traffic and if safety offices are willing to work with me, I will expand the info to provide the base specific information. Right now I just don't have the time to do that on my own and even if I had a team of 10 people it would be nearly impossible to get all the info needed and be able to track the updates without assistance from the people putting out the info through official channels

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    I updated the site and added some extra functionality. I am now able to list links to the installation specific Motorcycle Rider PPE Requirements. Hopefully it works in the different browsers. I checked it in Chome, IE and FF. As more people visit the site, additional info about installation specific PPE requirements should eventually get submitted and I will update the page. I wanted to keep all the info on one page to make it easy and it appears as though I was able to achieve that.

www.motorcycleppe.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF

Great discussion.

I think that we should go towards standardizing in the USAF, but each base commander is allowed to add to the base reg in order to provide for the special environmental needs of his facility.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Quote Originally Posted by S.E.R.E. View Post
    Great discussion.

I think that we should go towards standardizing in the USAF, but each base commander is allowed to add to the base reg in order to provide for the special environmental needs of his facility.
    The Air Force puts out minimum requirements, but some installations / commander add to. I was told the other night that one Army installation does not allow the wear of orange vests and they must be yellow.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton
    lol