Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

Looking for a good motorcycle jacket

I am looking for a good jacket. Being a "non-seasoned" rider, I want a jacket that will help me should things not go too good.

I was at military clothing sales today and checked out what they had, but they seemed to fit pretty tight, not because I am super fat, but more the cut of the jacket. I guess I am looking for something a little more loose and not too flashy. I don't really need a bunch of bright colors, I have to wear that reflective vest anyway.

I would like something that if it were cold outside, I could hop off the bike, strip off the refective vest and not look like an idiot walking around.

Anyone have any good ideas for place to shop online? I checked out the jackets at the Harley dealer and would have to put a second mortgage on my house to buy a full set of HD riding gear, so I am not going the HD route for clothing / PPE

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Near:
    Mountain Home AFB
    go with leather, fall thru spring it will keep out the wind and you can take the vest off and be ok. Look for a set of leathers that you can take the liner in and out of, this way you can use most or all of the year if it has zipper vents...
    Tom Junier
    On med hold in the WTB
    CVMA Chapter 13-2
    OEF and OIF Vet.

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Jack07 View Post
    go with leather, fall thru spring it will keep out the wind and you can take the vest off and be ok. Look for a set of leathers that you can take the liner in and out of, this way you can use most or all of the year if it has zipper vents...
    thanks. I have been looking at the jackets online. I don't really care for a form fitting jacket, it is just not my style. I have a reflective vest I can wear when I am in ACUs, but I just want to make sure I don't have to get tats touched up if I dump the bike

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    I like leatherup.com. Will try to find some from my favories when at laptop on IPhone now and don't have all my favs saved on here. But that is a good site bought from them in past. Oh and cycle gear.com u can log in and in upper right hand corner is spot for military customers and u can log in through AFFES and use military star card and get military discounts. Hope this helps in your search.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1968 to 1974

koh, check this out, http://www.hotleathers.com/default.aspx great quality jackets and leather at reasonable prices. I've been wearing one from here for years, still looks great.

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton
    I also suggest leather, but there are some factors you should consider first.

1. Leather collar that will protect in cold weather: Find one that (like the classic jacket) you can put "up" to provide that extra bit of protection.
    2. Liner that can be removed and carried in a saddlebag.
    3. Heavy leather, the heaviest possible. Such as the Classic Jacket.
    4. Forget vents unless your in a desert area. Vents in cold weather are just the place for cold air to get through the zipper.
    5. Gloves that have enough of a cuff that they will fit "OVER" your jacket cuffs. Putting them inside will only let in cold air.
    6. Belt at the waist of the jacket that will allow you to draw it tight against your waist.
    7. Chaps (cruiser with faring) leather pants (no faring) are the ticket. Make sure the legs go "OVER" your boots.
    8. Select a jacket size that allows you to wear "layers" under it.
    9. Boots that are at least as high as normal combat boots.
    10. Maintenance on the chaps, jacket, gloves, and boots: Like any leather product, use leather dye first, then leather polish (with a brush), then buff off with a shoe brush, then Armor All over it. (Note: Do "NOT" ArmorAll the butt or inside of the thighs of the pants, that will only make them slippery on the bike. But, do use it on the rest of the leather. This will keep the leather soft, supple, weather repellent and looking great for as long as you own them.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Stewart
    agree with the above:
    Hot Leathers
    Leatherup
    and also try jamminleather.com