Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

Federal judge orders halt to 'don't ask, don't tell'

"The ruling bans the Pentagon's policy on gays in the military. Now Obama must decide whether to appeal – a standard procedure that would be unpopular with Democratic supporters."

A federal judge in California issued a permanent ban Tuesday on the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays and lesbians in the military, ordering the Defense Department to immediately halt any efforts to remove personnel because of their sexual orientation.

The government has 60 days to appeal the ruling, which gives the administration until after the midterm election next month to make a decision. But it also presents a problem for President Obama as he tries to rally his Democratic base.

Here is a link to the full article

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    I can't believe it got this far. I hope the outcome though instead of "Don't ask, Don't Tell" is kick them out. No more gray area.

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton
    Judge has further ruled that the Military will immediately begin to accept gays openly. Any attempt to delay will result in her ordering a "contempt of court" warrant. Wonder who she will have arrested? lol