Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

Is it true Harley Dealers cannot sell under MSRP?

I read online that Harley Dealers have some deal with the company that if they sell under the MSRP, they lose allocations for the next year. That means no getting them to go down on price, but it is suggested that the buyer try to get them to offer credit towards HD merchandise in the store or get a free helmet or gloves thrown in.

They also mentioned that while the shipping/transport fee is a fee from HD, the dealer fee is just something they add in and try to tell you it is for paperwork / title fees.....but it is pure profit. The dealer makes money for selling the Harley, then they add a little more when they get you to pay the dealer fee. The dealer fee supposedly DOES NOT HAVE to be paid and the dealer supposedly has the wiggle room to drop that fee to get you to buy the bike.

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Figured I would test this out today. I called three different dealers:

Dealer A:
    - Bike: $14,499
    - Dealer Prep Fees: $995

We were at an event at this Dealer Sat and I talked with with a salesman about a bike. I called back today and he said "so, you gonna come in and buy it today?" I said "No, I am going to call some other dealers and see if they can give me a better deal". The salesman says "Let me ask you this, did I not do enough o earn your business?" I responded with "Nope, I just want to call around and see what other dealers are going to offer. I have mouths to feed at home and don't want to blindly buy the bike from you and not know if I can save money somewhere else". He replies with "I have mouths to feed at home too".

Dealer B: (Pitted them against Dealer A)
    - Dealer Prep Fees: $995
    + 10% off accessories
    + $100 Gift Card towards accessories

Dealer C: (Pitted them against Dealer A + B)
    - Dealer Prep Fees: $495

I still have three more dealers which are sort of local to me to call. So far, Dealer C has the best deal, taking some off the dealer prep fee. Dealer C was also the coolest guy to deal with over the phone and after our short conversation I thought we were buddies already.

Status
    I Served
    Served
    1993 to 2010

Near:
    Langley AFB
    I bought my 2010 Ultra new for 1000.00 under msrp

Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    I Bought my new Ultra Limited (wich is way cooler then 1Harleyrdr's Bike) for 1200.00 under MSRP

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Damn, I guess I was wrong.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1985 to 1993

Near:
    Scott AFB
    Koh, I had heard that, too (no selling under MSRP). The Motor Company has changed a LOT over tha' years, and seems to have MORE control over their business franchises than ever. Our old Harley dealer was literally FORCED to open up one of those multi million dollar "Harley Marts" (Millions of dollars of clothing and gee gaw with a few bikes) or risk losing his franchise license. I use to ride to the Harley shop (even when I was riding rice) because it was a good ol' down-to-earth hang out and they had no problem even ordering in stuff for my ricer. Tha' new place reeks of Chinese leather and none of the mechanics can work on a Shovelhead (let alone older models).. Things sure have changed (and not for the better) if'n ya' ask me... Respects
    Pro Deo ~ Pro Patria
    "For God ~ For Country"

They call me....
    >>>Squirts<<<

http://www.squirtsbikerpage.com Squirts' Biker Page

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1982 to 1988

Near:
    Eglin AFB
    Manufacturer's suggested Retail Price on new vehicles is exactly that; a suggested price. They encouraqe the dealers to stick to this with incentives for the dealer. However thay can go lower; Usually not by much maybe $1000.00 at best. Another way that they sweeten deals is by offering options like bags or different seats.

I'm a used bike kind of guy; find great deals on used vehicles; an often they are loaded with options so this saves you money out of pocket.

Hope this helps.....
    Juan C Fernandez
    USAF 1982 - 1988
    Hooyah

Status
    Family Member
    Served
    1983 to 2009

Near:
    Osan AB
    All of the bikes we sell at automatically discounted 6.5% below MSRP...If MSRP is $18,999 your MSRP price is $17,800 (or somewhere around there) we then have dest charge, and prep free. Dest charge is always what the manfacter suggests, prep fee is like $450. We start clearance deals in the winter generally for sportsters $1,000 off, for dynas $2,000 for v-rods, touring, and softails $2,500.

We sell below MSRP all day, everyday, etc!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Quote Originally Posted by nik00117 View Post
    All of the bikes we sell at automatically discounted 6.5% below MSRP...If MSRP is $18,999 your MSRP price is $17,800 (or somewhere around there) we then have dest charge, and prep free. Dest charge is always what the manfacter suggests, prep fee is like $450. We start clearance deals in the winter generally for sportsters $1,000 off, for dynas $2,000 for v-rods, touring, and softails $2,500.

We sell below MSRP all day, everyday, etc!
    Damn. Spread that thinking down to the central texas area.

Status
    Family Member
    Served
    1983 to 2009

Near:
    Osan AB
    Each time you go overseas you can take adv of the program.

Also our interest rates on Harley's start at 3.3%

I work for Exchange Car Sales www.encs.com