Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

British Hostage May Have Been Killed by US Grenade

Here is a link to the original story

"Initially, NATO spokespeople suggested that 36-year-old aid worker Linda Norgrove died when one of her kidnappers detonated a suicide bomb vest, apparently set off as U.S. forces approached the compound where she was being held.

However, at a press conference this morning, the prime minister said that Gen. David Petraeus -- commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan -- had phoned him Monday morning and told him that a grenade thrown by a member of the American rescue team may have killed Norgrove."

-------------

My thoughts are that war is hell, they tried their best and not everything in a war zone is going to go as planned no matter how much you train, how well you plan and how many rehearsals you do. I just hope that the press does not turn into a lynch mob and try to go after the troop that tossed the grenade. I am sure it was not done with the intention of killing the lady.

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF

We have certainly tried over the generations to effect the rescue of so many. From the failed (because they were not there) attempt in Vietnam, to the blotched job in the Desert of Iran, and so many others that are not public knowledge. But, we have also had quite a few successes. The trying is the important thing. Without it, our troops will not have the faith that we will come for them.