Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF Gps

Any suggestions on a excellent GPS?

So far, I've found only the Garmin Nuvi 550 to be the best waterproof GPS with lifetime updates on the market. But, with a price tag of 269.00 at www.tiger-direct.com it's a bit pricey!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...n%20nuvi%20550

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    I use a GPS on my iphone which I have found to be pretty dependable. The best part is that you can set the iphone to not automatically turn off, sit the phone in a cradle and it uses updated info for the maps. The app is a lot cheaper also. The app cost about 20 or 25 bucks, I cannot remember exactly. I just know that in the past 6 years we have purchased 4 different full size GPS units. The first two cost 499 and the last two that we also still have cost about 700. Chances are if we did not have this app, we would be dropping money on other full size GPS in the next year or so. My family uses the same itunes account for both my wife's and my iphone and our daughter's ipod touch. that means that when i buy the app for one device on the itunes account, I run it on all our other devices that are tied to the same itunes account. I basically got 3 GPS "systems" for less than 20 bucks

The app we use is Motionx and we actually have two different apps installed from them. One is for street driving and works like a TomTom or Garmin. The other is more of a standard GPS that also uses MGRS (Military Grid Reference System) so we use that one while off-roading in jeep.

Last edited by TX Wide Glide; 10-11-2010 at 17:56.

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF

How much for the Iphone and the app?

How do you mount it?

How do you get it to work with your existing onboard system?

How do you see it when riding?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    We have the iphone as our cell phone, but i think they have the app for other phones such as the droid.

You can buy mounts at walmart or online that have clamps, can screw in, velcro or use heavy duty double sided tape. The type of mount and method of attaching is up to the user.

It does not work with the onboard system. The GPS app uses the gps that is part of the iphone and many other smart phones. You no longer need a stand alone GPS system if you use the app. Plus, the app is on your phone so you can pull out your phone when in a buddies car or if you have to rent a car. You can use the app when walking around a city, or wherever you would need some quick directions.

When riding, I would imagine that it would work like a stand alone GPS. I am not to the point in riding where I am going to be using a GPS. Once I am more comfortable and leave the town we live in I will check out the GPS.

-----

If you have a smart phone already, then the GPS app is a small purchase. If you dont have the smart phone such as a droid or iphone, then I would look into a stand alone system. I think you will probably find some great deals Black Friday in Nov and as we get closer to Christmas. Last year I saw some entry level GPS for 89 bucks. If you are just looking for directions, a cheap GPS is going to give the same end result as a $3000 GPS.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Here is a mount I found on amazon for mounting an iphone to a motorcycle:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-WEA.../dp/B001IB3ODA

------------------

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Bic.../dp/B00384Z5GE

-----------------

And one from a different site:

http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDeta...-AP3U&click=21

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    I seen a different iPhone mount before for motorcycles. It's probably discontinued though because I can never find it anywhere. The cool thing about the mount was the ability to keep the iPhone charged/charging while in use.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

Thank you

Do you have a monthly dues for the iphone internet usage?

Do you have a monthly dues for the app usage?

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1970 to Present

Near:
    Hanscom AFB
    I bought a water proof box and mount from RAM. I think may around $50.00 or so. Been a while. My Garmin Nuvi GPS fits inside and stays completely dry. The front is soft clear plastic so I can still change the menu and look at what I need to see. The only real expense was the power plug to run the thing. I opted for a real good one cause of being in the elements all the time. I can use my GPS just as easy as when I have it in my car.
    Last edited by Madtanker; 10-12-2010 at 01:19.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF

I've been watching GPS's for quite some time, and the other gadgets also. But, for sheer expense, I can't imagine spending for a monthly fee, initial cost, update fee, etc. A stand alone seems to me to be the best way to go when you do not already have a iphone or other such gadget. Any other ideas?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Stewart
    I run the Harley addition Garmin 550. It is awesome and will store music, blueth=ooht to my phone and wires directly into my stereo. It is pricey but I just splurged and financed it in with the new bike. Now that I have been using it a while, I have really grown dependent on it. Now I justgotta sit down and take the time to figure out the route planning feature.....ahh the hell with it, I am going riding, lol!