Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF Rebuild and Donate

I've started the process to get the American Legion here in Oceanside and in all of North County San Diego involved (and any other) with the rebuilding of a 1982 Goldwing Interstate. A complete rebuild and then donate it to a worthy and needy Marine here at Camp Pendleton.

The history behind this is .... two years ago I pulled into a Walmart and parked next to the worse looking motorcycle I've ever seen (that still was rideable). Out of the store walked an active duty Marine and we talked. The sum of it is that he was riding this piece of junk 30 miles one way, 3 times a week to school in San Diego in the traffic on the Freeway. This thing is a Honda 90, rust from front to back and seat is torn and tattered so much that little of the original leather is there. Absolutely horrible.

Due to various reasons, I had 3 Goldwings in my garage. One was a beautiful fully restored 1983 Aspencade, Grey in color and with all the instrumentation. I decided as I talked to this 3 time war vet with a wife and new baby on the way who could not afford a bike to give the bike to him. I told him I had a bike for sale and he asked if he and his wife could stop by and see it. Two days later they came, rode it, and then as they talked in private I leaned over the saddle bag and pulled out the pre-signed papers. They came walking back and before they could say anything, I told them I had a deal for them.... would he be willing (he was taking small engine repair classes) to fix my motor if anything happened to it, if I gave him the bike....? lol... of course.

I did so and they rode off that night with a new addition.

Two and a half years later, on a Patriot Guard Ride, I was sitting with my gal next to my 1983 wine colored Goldwing and up walks a guy who asks if that is my goldwing. I said yes and he then asked me if I would like another? Holy Smolly! Are you kidding! I said yes and he told me to get to his house tomorrow night and pick it up. I did.

Strangely, that bike, is the same color, year, model, and make as the one I gave away, and even more strangely it has only 53 more miles on it then the one I gave away and that on a bike that is 27 years old.

So, now with again 3 bikes on-hand, I've decided to have the AL and PGR help rebuild it. I've all the parts already, but lack the expertise.

A month ago, I donated a 1979 pickup to another Active Duty Marine here at Camp Pendleton. He had to sell his truck due to bills from his family.

There are so many needy kids in the military that could use a helping hand..it just takes a minute to talk to them.
    Last edited by S.E.R.E.; 10-11-2010 at 15:26.

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Wow, that is very nice. I agree, a little help can go a long way with some of the younger troops. I lack the expertise, but am always willing to learn. I am just too far away to offer any assistance. You should post the progress up on here and then if money needs to be donated to buy new parts or pay for materials, maybe my family can kick some your way to help with the project.

Good luck. You are a fine American.
    Last edited by TX Wide Glide; 10-11-2010 at 15:40.

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton
    Hey Thanks! I will do that!