Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    agreed, yeah i tore up floor boards on my harley when i had it, then stopped when went to buy new ones cost almost as much as new tires.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF

When I started out seeking wide white wall tires for my bike, front and rear, I started by calling the engineering departments of the major manufacturers (screw the retail departments). I called 3 of them and each time I talked to an engineer (responsible for designing the tires they are now selling) they all said the same thing. They made quite a bit of a point by stating that the interaction between the tires in wet conditions is due to design. Good conversation. Will keep looking into it.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    A car tire has more patch on the road making it more durable in the rain.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    Quote Originally Posted by S.E.R.E. View Post
    When I started out seeking wide white wall tires for my bike, front and rear, I started by calling the engineering departments of the major manufacturers (screw the retail departments). I called 3 of them and each time I talked to an engineer (responsible for designing the tires they are now selling) they all said the same thing. They made quite a bit of a point by stating that the interaction between the tires in wet conditions is due to design. Good conversation. Will keep looking into it.
    I just reread what you wrote, not sure how wide you were looking I wouldn't go to wide with a car tire. If your going for the 240 look id go with a metzler.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Near:
    Fort Lewis
    My best friend has a car tire on his cruiser. He loves it. He said it made it handle differently as far as having a more forceful input on the bars, I'd be more concerned with the contact patch, but then again, I've only ridden cruisers a couple of times in my life and have always owned race replica sportbikes.

Junior Member  The First 100 gapatriot's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1968 to 1989

Near:
    Robins AFB
    Hi everyone. Pretty new to this forum. Just thought I'd jump in here on the Darkside discussion.

I'm a previous Goldwing owner and rode 10,000 miles on a car tire before I sold her. I now have a 2010 Ultra Electra Gluide Classic. I can't wait till I need a new tire so I can go Darkside again.

I found whie riding the Goldwing that handling was much better on the CT than the MT. I can only give my observation. I'm by no means an expert. When I took the advanced riders course, I was dragging pegs and felt save as ever, In fact, I believe I felt safer on the CT. It just seem to grip a lot better.

Now my comments on the front tire. Personally, I would not put a CT on the front. I'm not a person who would do the "testing", however I would be interested on learning from those who have the guts to go for it.

With 5,000 miles on the Harley, I have a few miles to go before I switch tires. Maybe if I get a raise, it will happen sooner.
    Last edited by gapatriot; 12-28-2010 at 17:42. Reason: grammer

Status
    I Served
    Served
    1972 to 1975

Near:
    Camp Robinson
    @ D Wilson,
    I have a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak, 1500cc bored out to an 1800cc w/cam, looking to purchase a new set of tires soon.
    What suggestions would you have for this cycle. I read in the cross-section of the types recommended.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    Here's a link to delphi forums where there has been a lot of discussion on this topic, they also have lists of recommended tires to use: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...=%2FDarkSiding

for the front tire I ended up going with the Michelin 808, great tire!

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1986 to Present

Near:
    Fort Lee
    I've heard of this years ago...just didn't know it was called darksiding...other than a difference in cornering I'm not sure it would cause any problems on a non-sport bike in the conventional or legal speed range. It actually sounds beneficial for the big heavy bikes like my old Goldwing but I guess that would be a debate too. I gave up the high speed stuff years ago but for that I would still want a set of matched front/rear speed rated tires.
    Last edited by Bigjim455; 03-26-2016 at 20:43. Reason: spelling