Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB

Riding the Darkside

I'm just curious how many other darksiders are out there. Im not an expert on the issue though I do have a car tire on my bike now. a Michelin Hydroedge (in my avatar). I'm looking to go double darkside anyone know how to figure out the right tire size for the front end?

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    not sure what a darksider is , assuming it has something to do with car tire?
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    Yep. People call it the Darkside because although at one time all motorcycles had car tires on them the motorcycle industry started making it's own round tire and doubling the price. Where a normal tire for a motorcycle would get 8000 miles or so a car tire on a motorcycle can get triple that and in some cases depending on where you bought the tire have a 90,000 mile warranty so the tire will last just about as long as the bike itself, for only a fraction of the cost of a motorcycle tire.

I first read about it here... http://login.prospero.com/dir-login/...m%2FDarkSiding

I'm trying to figure out now what size I should go with in the front which would be a rear motorcycle tire mounted backwards in the front.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    ok im interested now i need to shoes for my girl next season, hmmm might be a darksider.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

Senior Member  The First 100 S.E.R.E.'s Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1988

Near:
    Camp Pendleton

USAF

I have checked into this considerably. There are two problems with your assumptions about "darksiding". 1. Manufacturers design tires (not just for price) but for performance under varying conditions. 2. Manufacturers design tires for motorcycles in 'sets'. I.e.: Front Tire is engineered to be used with "and only with" a certain rear tire. Mixing tires is an absolute NO NO for a rider. While most tires will work fine under dry conditions, once water enters the equation, your looking at a disaster on the road.

The way a tire grips the road has to do with its "shedding" properties and the speed / conditions, etc. of the environment. Mixing tires does not allow the tires to work in conjunction with each other and results in 'untested' results.

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    I've ridden over 8000 miles so far after Darksiding and the only thing I've noticed thus far is that it's nowhere near time yet to replace the tire. Manufacturers of motorcycle tires have never mixed there tire with a car tire that's why there's no results proving wether it's safe or not. As far as hydroplaning I ride to work in the rain but haven't taken it over 45 in the rain yet so I can't say much about higher speeds, at low speeds it actually feels like it grips the road better. Now for darksiding the front. I have yet to do it but know it's been done. Look at Honda Goldwings and various other trikes they mostly all have a rear tire in front from factory.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    good point sere, i ride a sport bike now and the tires are important to performance.

Dino

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    I don't think I'd recommend it on a sport bike, I'm sure the weight of the bike plays a role in how it works. Although there is a couple burn out videos on you tube with darksided sport bikes if that's your thing. Countersteer is a little different when riding darkside, I can't imagine how that would feel to a sport bike.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    it would probably kill me, my wife gives me shit because my tires are wore out on the edges but not too bad on the main parts. love to rip corners, but man i miss my cruiser(2005 harley electra glide standard) gonna get me another one some day. i really like the road king and the new street glides.

Dino

Member  The First 100

Branch
    Vendor
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    2003 to Present

Near:
    Minot AFB
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisleber View Post
    it would probably kill me, my wife gives me shit because my tires are wore out on the edges but not too bad on the main parts. love to rip corners, but man i miss my cruiser(2005 harley electra glide standard) gonna get me another one some day. i really like the road king and the new street glides.
    Don't get me wrong. I shred corners and cut through twistys like butter on the Darkside, I have scraped up floor boards to prove it. I just wouldn't recommend it on a sport bike because of the difference in countersteer on a sporty vs cruiser or Harley.