Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson

Harley Owners Group. Is it worth joining?

Just curious, I saw a lot of vests today with HOG patches. Is it worth joining?

Junior Member  The First 100

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Charleston AFB
    Depends on the chapter! It's just like anything else, it depends on the leadership and members. I have been part of the chapter in Charleston, SC for over four years now. When I first joined it was awesome. We got out and rode almost every weekend. There was several out of town trips to go on. Now I don't completely agree with the leadership. I guess i will wait for the current leads to step down or be voted out. Maybe it will get better again.

In the end I say join...it usually a yearly membership...you never know until you join...It might be awesome...
    Ride Safe
    Rob

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1982 to 1988

Near:
    Eglin AFB
    IS it worth joining? You bet; The vest and patches are nice but the commerodary is the best. Depending on how active your club is, you will have a group ride alomost every weekend and this dosen't include gatherings during the week. Our club is great; I'm a member of the FT. Lauderdale FL. Chapter and aside from the rides we sponsor charity events and particiapte in a lot of public activities and hold our own fund raising events. As a HOG member, you are entilted to a certain % of on all Harley Davidson murchandise that you buy; Additionally, companies like AT&T also give discount on celluar services to HOG members and places like Best western hotels cater to us as well as give us discounts. This is just to give you a few of the benifit; I have attached the link to the HOG association so you can get a better flavor for them. As amember of the armed forces you may also be able to start up your own club chapter.

Best of luck; look forward to seeing you at a one of our rallies.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US
    Juan C Fernandez
    USAF 1982 - 1988
    Hooyah

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1982 to 1988

Near:
    Eglin AFB
    Absolutely; I belong to the Ft Lauderdale Chapter and I have to tell you that I love it. The friends and good times you'll have on rides, fund raisers, charity work is all worth the while. Then there are also the perks; Discounts at HD facilities on purchases, AT&T even has discounts on cellular services for HD members. Hotels such as best westerns accomodate bikers and give discounts. I would recommend visiting the HD website http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US to ghet further details. The newest fad is that they are granting charters to those on military basis.

Great club to be a part of.
    Juan C Fernandez
    USAF 1982 - 1988
    Hooyah

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1988 to Present

Near:
    Fort Knox
    when i owned a harley the HOG chapter i was in was great group, and good networking.
    " There is no excuse to go about your business in a half-hearted way. We are only alive for a finite number of days, and we're poorer for every hour that we spend in soft-hearted pursuits."

Dino

The man with the plan  The First 100 TX Wide Glide's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Near:
    Fort Richardson
    Thanks for the info.

Status
    I Served
    Served
    1984 to 1990

I was a member for many years, but unless you take advantage of what the local chapter can offer, you don't get much. The atlas is invaluable though, gives you the location of every Harley dealership int eh US and more.

Junior Member  The First 100

Status
    I am Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Near:
    Fort Bragg
    Like others have said, it depends on the chapter. The first one I belonged to totally sucked. We would meet on Wednesday nights and ride to Hooters, which was literally right across the street. The dealership where I bought my latest bike seems a lot more active. I'm doing a charity ride with them this weekend, which should be good.

If you're looking for a low-commitment riding club, check into the Southern Cruisers Riding Club, also. They have chapters everywhere, and I've met some good folks through them.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Served
    Served
    1981 to 2000

Near:
    Fort Leonard Wood
    Or you could just join the PGR, can't beat the comraderie, the commitment to your fellow service members and your families. UNfortunately, you'll put a lot miles on your bike and your heart. There is nothing better for the soul! What a sense of belonging, have felt nothing like it since I left the service. I've ridden in two states and have been adopted, welcomed by both.

Try it.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    I Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2003

Near:
    Francis E. Warren AFB
    I think it's worth it. I am a life member in national HOG as well as the safety officer in our local chapter. We have a great chapter here but I know some are better than others.